I tried this whole cauliflower "steak" idea and it turned out really delicious so I wanted to share for anyone who wants to give it a try! This is really more of a technique than a formal recipe. I think you could season it however you usually make roasted cauliflower and it would turn out great. At a minimum, salt and pepper would do the trick!
Grilled Cauliflower "Steaks" with Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dressing
Author: Leanne Ray, MS, RDN
Yield: 2 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
- One head of cauliflower
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Cilantro to taste
- Slice a head of cauliflower right down the middle (after removing all of the leaves, and bottom stem so it sits flat on a cutting board). Cut one "steak" from each half - about an inch thick - and reserve the rest for using another time.
- Drizzle each "steak" with olive oil, and season with salt/pepper, smoked paprika and garlic powder.
- Grill until browned and a bit crispy on the edges (10-15 minutes)
- While the cauliflower is grilling, make the sauce: add avocado, yogurt and lime juice to a food processor or blender and puree (may need to add water to thin it out). Season with salt and pepper then drizzle the sauce over the cauliflower. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Notes: I have heard of these being served as a vegetarian entree, but I prefer it as a side. It could be served on top of an entree-sized salad or topped with black bean and corn salad to give it more bulk though. Enjoy!